Discover 11 Places Where You'll Have Funand Fall in Love with Learning!
Everybody knows that Branson is the undisputed king of live entertainment -- music -- magic -- comedy - drama - and everything in-between, above, and below...seriously, Branson is the place to see every kind of show imaginable, but did you know that it also boasts an impressive collection of museums? Love cars? There are two museums that are just up your alley! How about the uniquely strange or just plain odd? Got ya covered there, too! Love getting your favorite celebrity to pose for a picture with you? Well, Branson makes that real easy, because stunningly realistic stars made out of wax are very cooperative! Have you always been intrigued by the romance and mystery of the Titanic? Well, you simply must see Branson’s Titanic Museum Attraction!
Here’s just enough information about each of these fascinating museums to pique your interest, without spoiling all the surprises...this should help you determine just how many days to add to your next Branson itinerary so you won’t have to miss a single one!
1. Hollywood Wax Museum is one of Branson’s most visible landmarks -- that might have something to do with the giant ape scaling the Empire State Building. Yep, that’s right, King Kong hasn’t really been stranded on some desolate island somewhere, he’s been right here in Branson all along! Inside this incredible museum, you’ll discover a huge collection of celebrity wax figures -- everyone from Charlie Chaplin to Jamie Foxx is just waiting to get their picture taken with you!
2. The World’s Largest Toy Museum is another unique site along Branson’s famous Strip. It’s hard to miss -- there are giant toy soldiers guarding the entrance! In addition to a phenomenal collection of toys, games, and miscellaneous playthings, the building houses five additional museums -- the Harold Bell Wright, National BB Gun, World of Checkers, Stearnsy Bear, and the Paul Harvey, Jr. Museums can all be found inside the World’s Largest Toy Museum, making it easily Branson’s biggest collection of “collections” under one roof!
3. The Titanic Museum Attraction is another Branson eye-catcher -- it’s kind of hard to miss an enormous ship breaking through the ocean and heading right onto the Strip! Well, it’s not actually moving, but your first sight of this popular museum is breathtaking, and it only gets better inside. You’ll discover a beautiful and emotionally touching collection of more than 400 artifacts, as well as fascinating interactive and immersive displays. Displays are changed out periodically, making frequent trips to the Titanic practically mandatory!
4. The History of Fishing Museum...yep, there really is one, and Branson has it! You won’t need to be an avid angler to enjoy this private collection of more than 40,000 pieces -- it includes rods, reels, lures, aquatic animal bones and fossils, and more. There are items used in pre-colonial times, by Native Americans and Eskimos, and even one of the first fishing reels known to exist - a Spike Reel from the 1730’s, and a Snyder Reel from 1840, the first casting reel made in the U.S., and one of only four known to still exist today.
5. Branson Dinosaur Museum features a wonderful display of prehistoric creatures, so realistic, you’re likely to take a step or two backward at the site of them! It’s amazing how kids can love animals that never existed in their lifetime, but Branson understands that dinosaurs can capture the imagination of youngsters like little else can, and filled this museum with everything from the huge and ferocious - think tyrannosaurus rex - to the pint-sized, like the micro-raptor. Make the kids happy during your next Branson visit - show them dinosaurs!
6. Branson Auto & Farm Museum boasts an amazing collection of vehicles from nearly every era of the automobile, and a growing number of tractors and other farm items and implements. And one of the best features is that many of the collector cars are for sale! Ever dreamed of owning a 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle...or maybe a ‘64 Corvette...or how about a 1951 Ford F1 Pickup? Well, those dreams can become a reality at the Branson Auto & Farm Museum!
7. The Celebrity Car Museum is where you need to be if you enjoy vehicles that come with a bit of fame attached! You’ll marvel at the familiar four-wheeled fun mobiles that fill up this fascinating Branson attraction, including a Back to the Future DeLorean, the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo, Dumb & Dumber’s Mutt Cutts van, that sleek black number from Men In Black, and a crunched up Jeep from Jurassic Park. Make sure you’ve got your camera or cell phone charged up because you’ll discover plenty of fantastic photo opps!
8. The Ancient Ozarks Natural History Museum is one of the Branson area’s newest attraction offerings, reinforcing the common adage “what’s old is new again!” Located at the Top of the Rock, the phenomenal complex filled with dining, golf, hiking, and other activities, created by Bass Pro founder, Johnny Morris, this museum shares an astounding collection of Native American artifacts and artwork, prehistoric creatures, and displays from the American West and Civil War.
9. The Ralph Foster Museum at College of the Ozarks is, by far, Branson’s best kept museum secret! Packed to the rafters with some of the area’s most interesting collections, the museum is best known for housing an original vehicle from the Beverly Hillbillies television show. There are scores of interesting displays, including an incredible collection of firearms and other weapons, dolls, household items, natural history artifacts, and more. You won’t find a more impressive collection of items from the Ozarks’ region!
10. Ripley’s Believe It or Not! is one Branson museum that must be seen to be believed -- it’s packed with the strange, the odd, the weird, the intriguing, the creepy, and the downright most ridiculously entertaining collection of items you’ll ever see! You’ll be fascinated by every inch of this 12,000-square-foot Odditorium, bursting at the seams with more than 450 intriguing exhibits. On your self-guided tour, you’ll encounter everything from a genuine shrunken head, to a model aircraft carrier made entirely of matchsticks!
11. The Veterans Memorial Museum couldn’t have found a more fitting home than the genuinely patriotic city of Branson. This extensive collection of items from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, and more recent conflicts, represents the struggles, sacrifices, and passionate perseverance of the men and women who unselfishly served our country. Displays in the museum include uniforms, medals, musical instruments, weapons, letters, paintings, and a wide variety of other items.
You might find older and larger museums in bigger cities around the country, but you’re not likely to find a wider variety of museums, or a more eclectic offering of displays, than what you’ll find in the place they all call home -- Branson! So, the next time you’re looking for a family destination that offers one the fastest growing areas of travel - educational tourism - look no further than the destination you’ve been choosing for live music shows for decades, the one-and-only Branson, Missouri!